7 June 2007

My Realty Tax Dollars Pay for This.

Yesterday, while I was researching for 15 Sunday OT - C, I heard Elder singing. NOw, I like elder singing, when she is singing something I like and I can hear her properly, but she was singing very softly and, for some odd reason, the tune irritated me, though I couldn't make out the tune clearly. ( I should point out that I was in my room and she was doing homework in her room, with her door closed.)

At some point, she leaves her room, and heads downstairs, and as she does so I hear the lyrics and the tune.

We are one in the Spirit,
We are in the Lord
We are one in the Spirit,
We are in the Lord
And We pray that all unity
May one day be restored

And they'll know we are Christians
By our love, By our love
And they'll know we are Christians
By our love

I got up so fast, I overturned my chair, causing a thud. Bear asked if I was OK, I didn't answer, as I bolted down the stairs.

"Elder, where did you learn that song?" I may have asked a little to forcefully, because she just stared at me.

"Honey, I'm sorry I didn't mean to frighten you. Where did you learn that song?"

"Uh, mom , why?

"Honey, where did you learn that song?"

"At School."

"For Music Class?"

"No, for church"

"Honey, tell me you're joking. Tell me they are not still teaching such bad songs for mass that they taught me exactly 3o years ago."

Elder, starts to laugh at my reaction. " Yeah." Then, stops looks at me and asks, "What's wrong with the song?"

Her question, left me perplexed, and it took me a while to realise that she was being honest in asking.

Bear interrupted and asked, "OK, simple grammar review: first line: 'We are one in the Spirit' Elder, what's the subject of the sentence?"

"We"

"Right. We is the Subject for all the sentences except for the refrain, where the subject is 'They'"

"So?"

"Well Elder, when we go to church, and attend mass, why are we there, or why are we supposed to be there?"

"To Worship God."

"So why are we singing about ourselves, to ourselves, in relation to others. The subject of hymns should be God: To God, about God.

"OHHHH"

So my twelve year old gets it, but teachers can't?

Thirty years later, there still teaching the same crap. And the future teachers, still in grade school are learning this crap and I'm afraid they teach it to my grandchildren. We'll never be free of this stuff. Be afraid, be very afraid.

No comments: