10 December 2007

Movies meme

KaleJ tagged me with the 100 movies meme, so here goes:

1. Your favorite five movies that are on the list:

In no particular order: Star Wars, Toy Story, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Psycho, and- because it's that time of year- It's a Wonderful Life.

2. Five movies on the list you didn’t like at all:

In no particular order again:

Gone with the Wind. My elder sister's favourite movie. We had to watch it every time it was on. She thought it was romantic. Frankly, I didn't give a darn.

Sound of Music. I was always rather amused by how the mother superior, after saying that singing was forbidden in the Abbey, breaks into full contralto to sing Climb Every Mountain.

Forest Gump. Oddest thing really. When I saw it I enjoyed every scene, but the first thing I thought when it was over was "What a chunk o' junk!"

Titanic. The ship sank. I got over it.

Goodfellas. Didn't like a second of it.

I could go on, but the meme says five.

3. Five movies on the list you haven’t seen but want to.

Can't say there are any.

4. Five movies on the list you haven’t seen and have no interest in seeing.

Tough call. Basically, any movie on the list I haven't seen. That includes: Swing Time, Easy Rider, Sunrise, Tootsie, Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf?- oh wait, that's five.

5. Your favorite five movies that aren’t on the list:

Man for All Seasons- "I think none harm, I speak none harm, I do none harm, and if that be not enough to keep a man alive then in truth I longeth not to live. Nevertheless, it is not for the supremacy that this court seeks my blood, but because I would not bend to the marriage!"


Evil Dead II- my guilty pleasure. The over the top badness of the splatschtick schlock horror just makes me laugh.

The Empire Strikes Back- this is the Star Wars movie that should be on the list. It is superior to every other one in every way. And by the way, I am speaking of the Empire Strikes back that came out in the theatres in 1980, with the climactic, "No Luke, I am your father." Every man of a certain age has stood in front of the mirror and repeated those words. It is one of the regrets of my life that my voice never deepened enough to do a good James Earl Jones impression.

Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan- the finest of the Star Trek movies. It has a good villain, good fight scenes, a good tie to the series, and Spock's final sacrifice. Until they brought him back.

The Incredibles. I seem to be in a science fiction frame of mind tonight. I also notice that being a father has tamed my movie choices somewhat. Being a Dad, I watch movies with the kids a lot. I appreciate that Pixar and a few other companies have made some good movies I can watch with the kids. Samuel L Jackson's voice work deserved an Oscar, and I hope to live to shake hands with whoever wrote the "Honey, where's my supersuit?" scene.


Over to you Puff. Tag someone for me.

No comments: