12 July 2008

I'm back

So, did I miss anything?

Didn't get the work done I intended to, so I'll have to find another way to deal with that.

I can't think of much to say, beyond that I will now resume sporadic blogging complete with rants; the fun of being Catholic; the joy of the Catholic father; why, oh why, are there so many dumb people?; things that amuse me or because I feel like it; and the occasional war story. As for the joy of being Catholic, I'd like to give a shout out to Louise at Purcell who is currently enjoying WYD. Louise, if you read this- I must now confess the sin of envy.

Under the because I feel like it heading I have this: My singing teacher made some remark to me that lead me to troll the net in a search for every version of Nessun Dorma I could find- and there are plenty, as it seems every tenor out there takes a shot at this one sooner or later. Here are a few of my favourites:








(By the way, my teacher's remark about this piece was not due to me singing this piece. Heck, he won't even let me sing scales yet.)

Though different, each one of these performances shows exquisite artistry and the God given talents of each man. Each also has a legion of critics commenting on their performances. The Best comment I saw was one person who observed: 'In all the world there are only a few people who can sing like this, but millions who can tell them how they are doing it wrong.' If you feel so inclined, say which one is your favourite in comments. As for my favourite... well, while not the technically most proficient, this performance always warms my heart.

No comments: