19 March 2011

For St Joseph's Day

Still more prayers from Dad's old prayer books, this time, for St Joseph.

Prayer to St Joseph.

O Glorious St. Joseph, thou wert chosen by God to be the reputed Father of Jesus, the most pure spouse of Mary, ever Virgin and Head of the Holy Family.  Thou hast been chosen by Christ's Vicar as the heavenly Patron and Protector of the Church founded by Christ.  Therefore, with the greatest confidence I implore thy powerful assistance for the whole Church militant.  Protect, in a special manner, with true fatherly love, the sovereign Pontiff and all the bishops and priests in communion with the See of Peter. Be the Protector of all who labor for souls amidst the trials and tribulations of this life; and grant that all the nations of earth may submit with docility to that Church out of which there is no salvation.

Dearest St Joseph accept the offering I now make of myself to thee.  I dedicate myself to thy service, that thou mayest ever be my Father, my Protector and my Guide in the way of salvation.  Obtain for me great purity of heart and a fervent love for interior life.  Grant that, after thy example, all my actions may be directed to the greater glory of God, in union with the divine Heart of Jesus, the immaculate heart of Mary, and thy own paternal heart.  finally, pray for me, that I may share in the peace and joy of thy holy death.  Amen.

Memorare to St Joseph.

Remember, O most chaste spouse of the Virgin Mary, that never was it known that any who implored thy help an sought thy intercession were left unassisted.  Full of confidence in thy power, I fly unto them and beg thy protection.  Despise not, O foster-father of the Redeemer, my humble supplication, but in thy bounty, hear and answer me.  Amen.

Novena prayer to Obtain a Special Favour.

O blessed St. Joseph, tender hearted father, faithful guardian of Jesus, chaste spouse of the Mother of God, I pray and beseech thee, to offer to God the Father, His divine Son, bathed in blood on the Cross for sinners and through the thrice holy Name of Jesus obtain for us of the eternal Father the favour we implore.

Appease the Divine anger so justly inflamed by our crimes; beg of Jesus mercy for thy children. Amid the splendors of eternity, forget not the sorrows of those who suffer, those who pray, those who weep; slay the almighty arm which smites us, that by thy prayers and those of thy most holy Spouse the Heart of Jesus may be move to pity and pardon,  Amen.

A Workman's Prayer to St Joseph.

Glorious St. Joseph, model of all those who are devoted to labour, obtain for me the grace to work in a spirit of penance for the expiation of my many sins; to work conscientiously, putting the call of duty above my inclinations; to work with gratitude and joy, considering it an honour to employ and develop, by means of labour the gifts receive from God; to work with order, peace, moderation and patience, without ever recoiling before weariness or difficulties; to work, above all, with purity of intention, and with detachment from self, having always death before my eyes and the account which I must render of time lost, of talents wasted, of good omitted, of vain complacency in success, so fatal to the work of God. All for Jesus, all for Mary, all after thy example, O Patriarch Joseph.  Such shall be my watchword in life and death.  Amen.

Prayer

Supported by the patronage of the Spouse of thy Most Holy Mother, we beseech Thy clemency, O Lord, to make our hearts despise all earthly things and to love Thee, the true God with perfect charity.  Who livest and reignest world without end.  Amen.

No comments: