3 August 2017

On the new uniform of the Knights

My take:  misfire, with a little meh thrown in.

As a third degree Knight, I have thus far resisted going into the fourth degree as the cost of the old uniform was prohibitive.    I simply didn't have the money for a tux, chapeau, gloves, sword, etc.  And frankly, I thought it looked ridiculous on most of the men who wore it.  So will I be leveling up now that the new, and presumably less expensive,  uniform is out?

Well, maybe not.

The new uniform resembles a military one.  It is very similar to the uniform of the Legion (association of Canadian veterans).  We would be mistaken for soldiers regularly, and that's what I don't like about the change.  The honour of looking like soldiers should be the privilege of soldiers and soldiers alone.  I did not serve, therefore I have no right to look like someone who did. 

As I said, this was a misfire.  I was not against altering the uniform as such, but this replacement is a mistake.  But, having said that (and here's where the 'meh' comes in) I will still be a member, pay my dues, and help out with our functions around the parish. 

No comments: