29 January 2011

Pot, meet Kettle.

The Conservative Party of Canada has started its 'don't vote for the other guy' campaign, again.  Once again, they are doing it despite the fact that there is no election on the horizon at the moment.  They have done this before, and I have blogged about it before.

However, recently, the Conservative Party, in parliament, in a stunning display of hypocrisy, condemned the other parties for polishing off their campaign strategies when there is no election on the horizon.  If the other parties have run a single election style commercial, I have not seen it.

Usually, when seeing the Conservative ads, and the other party ads, when they run this style of advertising, my reaction is this: I  say words to the effect that it is insufficient to tell me why I shouldn't vote for the other guy. I know why I shouldn't vote for the other guy. What I want to know is why I should vote for you. Give me a reason to give you my vote. That is what I usually say.

That is not what I say today.  What I say today is this:  If you guys were thinking about coming up with an ad telling me why I should vote for Stephen Harper's Conservatives, don't bother. You will never get my vote.

This is not to say I have any love of the other guys.  They are all despicable, and I would not want to vote for any of them, given an option.

Where are our leaders?  Where are the men who were once capable of inspiring and energizing us?  Where are the people who are capable of taking a stand on principles, who can say, sincerely: Here I stand, and I will not say otherwise.? Where is a Lester B Pearson, who, during the flag debate, went into the Legion Halls, to face his greatest opposition, and tell them, I understand how you feel about this issue, yet I still believe this is the right decision?

And, failing the leaders, where are our members of parliament, the people for whom we actually vote?  Years ago, Trudeau said the average member of parliament, the back benchers, were a bunch of nobodies.  Why did they not rise up and tell him and the other leaders that they are in fact the ones who hold the power of the parliament?   Instead, they have sank down, and descended to the levels of nobodies, who follow whatever their leader says, like a cubicle dweller following some mediocre middle manager, in the hope of a promotion. 

What a pathetic, despicable bunch of fawning, lying hypocritical bootlickers. I can't think of one of you who deserves my vote, unless it would be to vote for your incarceration for gross, criminal incompetence.