6 June 2010

I've been thinking about "pain management"

As the birth draws near, I have been thinking about pain associated with birthing.

With Elder, I got demerol, which I liked because it took the edge off, but I could still feel the contractions and I knew what was going on. It did make me sleepy but they managed to time the doses so that it all wore off by the time I had to push. It also allowed me to get some sleep between contractions.

When Younger was born, they stopped the demerol, and offered me an epidural early on. I told them I'd wait and see. By the time I wanted the epidural, the anesthesiologist was unavailable to give it to me. So I had no pain relief with younger, and I didn't have any way of hypnotising myself against the pain. That's not totally true - near the end they gave me nitrous gas(laughing gas) which did nothing for me.

Now, with the lad, I have the option of an epidural, morphine, nitrous gas, or nothing. They don't offer demerol anymore.

My major concern with the epidural is that I will move, and instead of the epidural space, the anesthesiologist hits the transdural, and at best I get a four day migraine headache. But there is less than a 1% chance of that.

The morphine is a narcotic, and my concern is the doses not being properly timed and the lad and I being too sleepy to push when the time comes.

And as stated earlier nitrous gas does nothing for me.

But, I find at times that when I pray I can put myself into a trance like state. Usually I can only do it for a few minutes and only with a short prayer or ejaculation, usually the Jesus Prayer:
O Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.

But labour and delivery lasts more than a few minutes, so although I will be praying I am not good enough to put myself into a continual or continuous trance.

Bear says that if it were him he'd go for the epidural. I love him.

4 comments:

Mary N. said...

I lasted as long as I could and then got an epidural. Labor hurts! At first I prayed and took hot showers but as labor progressed and they told me I couldn't get an epidural if I waited any longer I gave in :) I'm glad I did because it ended up lasting forever! Hot showers DO help though. Good luck! I'm praying for you!

Patience said...

Maybe you'll get lucky and there won't be time for anything. Each of my labours was quite a bit shorter even though each baby was quite a bit bigger.
Hope it's all over soon and it's not too awful.
I found deep breathing helped with transition but everyone feels pain differently so I would never be one to say "this is the way to go"

Puff the Magic Dragon said...

Elder was 25 hours
Younger was 17 hours
So this one could still be around 10 hours.

Anonymous said...

Drugs drugs drugs... take them all!