17 November 2008

More Humour from the Lunchroom.

I really must stop taking part in conversations when I haven't heard the whole thing. It just causes trouble for everyone.

A case in point. The other day Finbar and Joseph were in the lunchroom talking. Finbar was planning revenge.

"My neighbours had a karaoke party," he said. "It cannot go unanswered."

"So what'll you do?" asked Joe.

"I'll have a Karaoke party in my garage," Finbar replied. "I'm getting my old Fender speakers I used to use when I was in a band out of storage and I will blast the neighbourhood."

"That's vicious," Joe said. At this point I walked in to get some water. "Was it really that bad?"

"It was the worst Karaoke I ever heard," Finbar said. He shook his head at the memory of it.

"What was?" I asked.

"A party my neighbour had last week. It was terrible."

I felt a need to contribute. "The worst karaoke I ever heard was opera karaoke. Now that was horrible."

"Opera karaoke?" he said. "Is there really such a thing?"

"Oh yes."

Finbar's face split into a horrible grin. "Perfect," he said as he rose from his seat. He pulled out his cell phone and was dialing as he left the room.

I looked at Joe. A feeling of dread was coming over me. "What was that about?" I asked. What I was thinking was: what did I just do?

Joseph told me the part I had missed.

"Oh dear," I said.

For the life of me, I can't think of what, exactly, I did wrong. But all the same, I can't escape the feeling that I should go to confession. That, and the feeling that I owe an entire neighbourhood a deep and profound apology.

No comments: