16 August 2010

I love this quotation

"There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old's life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs." - John Rogers
 
Ayn Rand's followers call themselves objectivists.  That someone who declared that all of history is a conflict between the individual and the collective would have followers who organize themselves into a group with a self identifying name is rather ironic, although the irony is lost upon them.  I have had many run ins with objectivists.  I cannot say there is no such thing as a good objectivist. I can only say I have never met one.

1 comment:

Steve T. said...

Says it all:
http://www.mcsweeneys.net/2010/8/12hague.html