15 March 2011

More prayers from m Father's prayerbooks.

Two versions of the same prayer.

From the New Key of Heaven (1914)

Prayer to Jesus Crucified

Look down upon me, good and gentle Jesus, while before thy face I humbly kneel, and with burning soul I pray and beseech Thee to fix deep in my heart lively sentiments of faith, hope and charity, true contrition for my sins, and a firm purpose of amendment; while I contemplate with great love and tender pity Thy five wounds, pondering over them within me, and calling to mind what the prophet David put in thy mouth concerning Thee, O good Jesus: "They have pierced my hands and feet; they have numbered all my bones."

Say the Our Father and the Hail Mary, five times, for the Pope and the Church.

From St Joseph's Missal, cover fallen off and date missing, but for the 1962 Mass,

Indulgenced Prayer Before a Crucifix

Behold, O Kind and most sweet Jesus, I cast myself upon my knees in Thy sight, and with the most fervent desire of soul I pray and beseech Thee that Thou wouldst impress upon my heart lively sentiments of Faith, Hope and Charity, with true repentance for my sins, and a firm desire of amendment, whilst with deep affection and grief of soul I ponder within myself and mentally contemplate Thy five most precious wounds; having before my eyes that which David spoke in prophecy concerning Thee, O good Jesus: They have pierced my hands and feet; they have numbered all my bones.

1 comment:

Mary N. said...

These older prayers are especially beautiful. I don't think I've seen these two before.