11 March 2011

Prayers for those who suffer Insomnia

I was going over the stats here, and I discovered the single most common search that directs visitors to this page is an old post on prayers for insomnia. Go figure, 

At any rate, here are some prayers for sleep which are prayed during  the Night (Compline) prayers in my breviary.

Lord,
Give our bodies restful sleep
and let the work we have done today
bear fruit in eternal life.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Lord, fill this night with your radiance.
May we sleep in peace and rise with joy
to welcome the light of a new day in your name.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

Lord Jesus Christ,
you have given your followers
an example of gentleness and humility,
a task that is easy and a burden that is light.
Accept the prayers an work of this day,
and give us the rest that will strengthen us
to render more faithful service to you
who live and reign forever and ever.

Lord God,
send restful sleep
to refresh our tired bodies.
May your help always renew us
and keep us strong in your service.

We ask this through Christ our Lord.

(for Saturday)

Lord,
be with us throughout this night.
When day comes may we rise from sleep
to rejoice in the Resurrection of your Christ
Who lives and reigns forever and ever.

The conclusion of every night's prayer is also a prayer for sleep:

May the all powerful Lord grant us a restful night and a peaceful death.  Amen.

  

14 comments:

Mary N. said...

I'm one of the people who "found" that old post on prayers for insomnia and was I ever grateful! Thanks for reposting about prayers for sleep and for adding to it. It's very hard to find insomnia prayers.

tesol said...

It's really wonderful that I found this prayers for insomia. I will follow this prayer starting tonight. Thanks to those who contributed this prayers. God bless.

Anonymous said...

Please pray for me, I cannot seem to sleep at night. I pray that I can turn this issue over to God and seek his help. I ask for your prayers on my behalf and I will pray for all others suffering from insomnia too. Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

I will think of you and pray that we all have a restful nights sleep.
when I say my prayer tonight you dear friends will also be on my mind, as I understand your suffering.Thank you for this

Juan Gil said...

I also suffer of not being able to sleep and have anxiety. So I ask that you all will keep me in you're prayers ...

Anonymous said...

Plz pray that I sleep peacefully my fears keep me awake at night and I'm only 11 years old

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie, God bless your soul. I pray that those fears go away for you and for you to get some peaceful sleep.

Monica said...

thank you father for the protection and the strength you have given me to endure this trail. it's not easy but you pull me threw either way. I pray for everyone else with this problem. Lord give them peace and strength. in Jesus name.

Anonymous said...

As I read your comments, I am deeply sadddened of what we are going through. My prayers are with u. I hope we will have a restfull sleep and insomnia will leave us. Peace of mind will reign our minds.

Anonymous said...

This is so hard to see. So many people are suffering. But God is at hand, He hears our prayers & His deliverance is on hand. It will be okay. I'll say a prayer for all those who suffer this affliction. God is always with us. Amen.

David said...

Dear Lord i pray for everyone reading this that You will fill them with Your presence, Your love and peace. Let them know that You are with them and will get them through.

God has promised to never leave us nor forsake us.

Anonymous said...

I'm really having a hard time sleeping since my wife's sickness. Thank you this prayer. I'll try it fervently tonight. Jim

Anonymous said...

My problem is very serious as i can't even sleep for 1 second due to the cough initially. Now i cough less but insomnia didn't really improve. Had tried a lot of options. Sleeping pill is my last resort. But i hope God will help me.

Jason

TA said...

I'm three weeks in to this insomnia . Please pray for us to overcome this disorder.