12 July 2011

These things are sent to try us

I mentioned in a previous post that my little workshop has a very little budget of ten dollars a month.  Thus, if I wish to buy anything, a considerable period of savings is required.

One of the things I had my eyes set on was a toothed plane blade, which I would used to build a toothing plane.  Such planes were used by the oldtimers of yore for veneering and inlay work, and also to deal with thorny grain.  Since I use found lumber and recycled wood, thorny grain is often an issue, so I thought such a plane would be of use.  The only drawback is the blade alone runs about fifty bucks.

So I saved and hoarded, until I finally had the money, plus tax, for the blade.  And then... the motor on my jigsaw burned out.  I would like to have the plane, but I need the jigsaw.  So now, I have to save still more, buy something I don't want but need.  That's just the way it goes sometimes.

It isn't just that I have to buy this, it's the timing.  I was this close.  It's like fate, or luck, or whatever, not content with stabbing me in the blindside, wanted to twist the blade a little.

Sigh.

On the other hand, if this is the worst of my problems, I have no problems.

No comments: