14 March 2017

Got back from the funeral last night.

I would have liked to have stayed an hour or two longer, but the weather reports were saying that I would be driving into a snowpocalypse. It didn't quite materialize.  It figures.

 Only the wife and I and Frodo could go. Being in a new place and surrounded by strange people is usually a challenge for Frodo because of his condition, but he handled it fairly well.

You could tell from the people there that my cousin was much loved and will be missed and mourned for some time to come. I think of the words of Lincoln's letter to Mrs. Bixby: "I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost." As I wrote for my own mother a few short months ago: I think of the words of the New World Symphony: "I'm going home, just going home." I think of the words of Seneca the Elder, who wrote that everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives. Always remember that, in her own quiet way, she lived, and as we are believe in the promises of our Savior, she lives still.

Please remember her and her family in your prayers.

No comments: