17 August 2018

Pursuant to my last

A fair few people have been posting the following quotation from Dorothy Day:

I never expected much of the bishops, in all history, popes and bishops and abbots seem to have been blind and power-loving and greedy. I never expected leadership from them. It is the saints that keep appearing all through history who keep things going. What I do expect is the bread of life and down through the ages there is that continuity.
There is also an old saying that one of the surest signs that someone is unfit to wield power is that they want to.  It therefore gives me some hope to remember that the first two bishops of my diocese - Power and Charbonnel- actually fought tooth and nail to not become bishop of here or anywhere else and were forced to don the mantle.  At least we started out on the right foot.  Bishops Power and Charbonnel- pray for your successors and our diocese.

No comments: