5 April 2019

The announcement I promised a few weeks back...

I will be having a Catholic History of Toronto Walk on Saturday, April 27th.  ('Walk' is a trifle deceptive: we will be taking the streetcar at a couple of points.) I call it: "Within a Stone's Throw: Catholics in Toronto in the 19th century."  We will be meeting on the northwest corner of Bathurst Street and Fort York Blvd near the big cannon.  Why there? come and find out.  We will go from there making some stops along the way and end at St Paul's Basilica on Queen and Power Streets.  I will show you the sites and tell you the stories of some of the important (and occasionally strange) moments of our past, and how they helped shape our present We will hear how a secret society's manipulations resulted in an unsolved murder; how a major change in Toronto (which greatly benefited the Catholics) began the evening a clown and a fireman walked into a brothel; a forgotten cemetery; a lost hospital where a man who may be a future saint tended the sick at the expense of his own life; and, time allowing, you will hear of the time when every single church in Toronto was placed under interdict., Bring comfortable shoes and a way of getting on and off the TTC. The event is free to all, though someone will be buying me a peameal bacon sandwich when we pass by St Lawrence Market.

For anyone on Facebook, here's a link to the event page there.

https://www.facebook.com/events/2612472972159903/

This remains free (except for the sandwich part) at the moment because I am still in the testing phase, but, if it seems feasible, I will start charging for the walk.  Not a huge sum, but a fee at least.  I am also working on a second walk which will be about some of the riots I have mentioned here from time to time, when the Catholics and Protestants clashed in the streets.  I am finding that to be tricky, but I will see if I can pull it off.

No comments: