13 August 2019

Because I was asked

Here is a photo of the St Michael I did, with a frame temporarily held in place by clamps.



Since this began as an attempt to recreate an image from a stained glass window in wood, I decided to try and make a frame that mimicked stain glass as well.  Unlike the image, the frame was true inlay.  The varying colours are all from the wood itself.  It is made from walnut, tiger or fiddleback maple, birdseye maple and mahogany. 

I am not terribly happy with how it came out.  I may try and tweak it, or redo one or two elements, or simply discard it entirely and wrap it in a simple dark wood.

2 comments:

Kathleen1031 said...

Oh, the St. Michael is just incredible, gosh I love it. I love everything about the way it looks. The frame is beautiful on it's own, it deserves to be the center of attention around an image. The St. Michael deserves to be the center of attention as well. That's my opinion you didn't ask for, lol.
Framing is an art unto itself. If it were me, I'd ask a few opinions of framers, because I've learned if they're good they know. Too ornate and it competes, too thin and that doesn't look right either. I've a painting of my Mom's I have to have re-framed because I selected the wrong stain of the wood. It does make all the difference. The minute that correct frame is there it's like, pop, and you know. After all that work take your time until you get that feeling. It's so worth it.

I received the book you wrote in the mail today, "Within a Stone's Throw", about Catholics in Toronto and the Jubilee Riots of 1875. I don't know why but I expected a pamphlet and this is a pretty substantial book! I'm looking forward to reading it. You obviously did a lot of research.
Please post when you select your frame?

Bear said...

I will. I hope you enjoy the book.