23 April 2021

Talk like Shakespeare Day

 

Today is the 457th anniversary of Shakespeare's birth, or the 405th anniversary of his death. Take your pick.
 
Not feeling terribly inspired at the moment- the best I could come up with was an elaboration on someone else's joke of turning the lyrics of 'play that funky music, white boy' into faux renaissance speech. Here instead are some verses I perpetrated back in 2016 for the 400th anniversary of his death.
 
What need has Shakespeare for me? What am I
That I should add my praise to th'immortal
Poet of my tongue? Yet grace demands it,
And gratitude: We must praise our masters
Though our praise fall ever short of their worth.
 
Then list, O reader faire, to these my words,
For on this day, this happy day, a mere
Four and one half centuries (plus years two)
Was born to us a bard. No man before
Nor since ever so wielded quill and ink.
 
Soul of his age, soul of ours, who saw
The full compass of man in all ages.
Never was born one whom Shakespeare wrote not,
Never can one be born out of Shakespeare.
In all ages and all places does brood
Hamlet in his sables, Macbeth does ford
His bloody river, and an Iago
Tempts Othello to mad, jealous murder;
Star damned Romeo seeks his Juliet,
And Lear rages at his ill-use, 'til breaks
His heart. And yet more: What tavern knows not
Its Falstaff, braggart great? He lies, we know,
Yet laugh we still, as did the wayward prince.
Theseus blesses where his law could blast,
And Malvolio storms, claiming his day
Shall come.
 
A language small was thy inheritance:
A language great was ours, enrich'd by thee
In words as well as poetry. So much
Thou gave'st thy beloved English, much more
Than can ever be repaid: And for thanks
Thou art much abused, thy name known, naught else.
Taught by ill- learn'd schoolmasters to students
Unwilling: among them, thy glorious
Name now a curse.
 
                    Take then, O master great,
My praises weak, for though small they may be,
They are honest. As long as beats this heart,
My tongue shall not be enjailed within my teeth
And I shall praise thee, not as thou deserves,
For no mouth can speak thy worth, nor hand write
Praise high enough: A mere candle am I
Lit against the darkness rising. Take, I ask,
What I give, essaying to catch thy tone
If not thy worth, as I speak as thou spoke
For this one day, and be not offended.
Thou needst not me, I know well, but I thou
Dost need and love, O William of Stratford,
This day and ever master of my tongue,
And grateful I am providence saw fit
To grant us thee for time short and for time
Eternal.

6 comments:

Evangeline said...

How lovely! It is a beautiful tribute, worthy of the Bard.
I love Shakespeare, but feel like an ignorant clod when I confess I often do not know what he is referencing, but this happens to me with poetry quite often, and I have strong reading comprehension!. I need Shakespeare for Dummies as a way to get familiar with the plays, because I do want to understand them. Anyways yours was well done and this dolt comprehendeth it.

Bear said...

There are many things he references that are simply lost to us, because he read a lot of books that are seldom read today or which simply don't exist any longer. But I can promise you that if you read him enough you will not notice it as much.

If you're looking for a bad introduction into Shakespeare, I wrote a little bit about the oddities of Shakespearean interpretation,,,,, https://www.amazon.ca/dp/1532702647

Evangeline said...

Many thanks. It's an impressive thing, isn't it, that what he writes sounds good to the ear, even when the words aren't understood. I love it when I do understand it. I didn't know that others who appreciate him don't get all his references either. That's comforting. I admit I do love his insults.

Evangeline said...

I thought the book would be interesting and fun to read. I ordered it, and Amazon told me they can't ship it to my geographic location. I'm in New England! Any idea why? I've never seen this before.

Bear said...

It may be because I gave you the Amazon.ca link. Try this one. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1532702647

Evangeline said...

That did it, thank you. Can't wait to read it. Now is a great time for Shakespeare, we all need reminders of the beauty of the world, and not allow these fascists to totally steal our joy.