24 August 2007

I Sing of A Maiden

I studied Middle English, and I have always liked it so I've decided to include on this blog some Medieval Prose and Poesie.
The first I wish to present is a Poesie to Our Lady.

I SING OF A MAIDEN

I sing of a maiden
that is makeles,
King of all kinges
to her sone sche ches.

He cam also stille
There his moder was,
As dew in Aprille
That falleth on the grass.

He cam also stille
To his moderes bour,
As dew in aprille
That falleth on the flour.

He cam also stille
There his moder lay,
As dew in Aprille
That falleth on the spray.

Moder and maiden
Was never non but sche;
Well may swich alady
Godes moder be.

cited from :
Medieval English Liturature;
Thomas J. Garbaty, University of Michigan, Anne Arbor.


(It's a hymn. If anyone can find a Modern English version, please let me know. AllI could find is this one from A Treasury of Christmas Carols; which has modern notation but Medieval Lyrics)

Click to enlarge

No comments: