9 August 2008

Elder's Surgery

Well, Elder had her surgery.

It was scheduled for 11:45 am at Mount Sinai Hospital. We got to the hospital at 9:15 as requested. She went through the pre-op questioning. At one point she asked if she could wear my brown scapular. I gave it to her, but told her she would probably have to remove it for surgery. She met her nurse and the anaesthetists and was walked into the OR by a nurse at 11:45. I was told the surgery would take about 1/2 hour. I got myself a small decaff double double. (In support of Elder not being allowed to eat anything after mid night- I fasted that morning too. - But she was getting glucose now, so I thought it only fair I get sucrose-and a bit of milk and, what else does decaff have in it? It was now that I remembered Elder was still wearing the scapular - oops- but it isn't metal sooo....)

Anyway at about 11:25 the volunteer in the OR Waiting Room got a call to say that Elder was out of surgery at 11: 17 and was now in recovery. It would be another hour. Ten minutes later, another call Elder wants to see me. I go into recovery.
The attending nurse said, " Well we now know what sign to look for if your daughter does drugs." Confused I ask, "What?"
"She's a chatterbox on drugs."
Apparently she didn't stop talking and only fell asleep for the 3 minutes of the actual surgery. Yup 3 minutes. that's all three minutes.

She was still loupy and a bit loud. I told her a few times to hush. She mentioned that she still had the scapular. The nurse pointed it out. I mentioned we forgot she was wearing it- Well we let her keep it, but usually we don't allow stuff around the neck- it could get dirty or could get tangled in the leads. But it didn't cause any problems. ( Elder told me later, that they asked what it was, it if it as a "Good-Luck piece" She didn't answer them. -She really didn't think that before surgery was the time to explain Our Lady, Saint Simon Stock and the promises of the Brown Scapular-)

About an hour after the surgery she tells me she wants her daddy, so I call home and leave a message asking him to come. (Should point out that I had left 2 progress reports already- Basically I told him Elder's progress and in what room I was told to wait. That way if he did come down he would have a better chance of finding us. (He was on errands with Younger- another story)

I was given the post -operative instructions, and her prescription for an ointment (Anti-bacterial and corticosteroid) They monitored her vitals for a bit. She was helped to a sitting position told to cough, which she did- this must have been important because the nurse said, "Good." She ate 4 cookies, 2 glasses of apple juice, was told to dress, and was wheelchaired out to a taxi. The nurse even gave us a plastic lined paper bag in case she got nausea in the cab. We got home about 2: 15 p.m. She ate Nutella Sandwiches and drank milk, watched 1/2 hour of TV, and went upstairs to sleep woke up about 4:00 and lay down on the chesterfield with me as a pillow, at which point Bear and Younger came home. They missed us by an hour and a half.

This morning the bandages came off, and all that is visible is a small 1/3 cm red dot which will most likely fade away completely. The post-op is okay, except that the eye itches like mad. We have worked out a compromise: Elder doesn't scratch or rub her eye, and we will put up with her complaining that it itches. There is no pain just the maddening itch. The ointment should help.

No comments: