30 September 2015

L'etat, C'est Moi.

I've seen a fair few debates on-line over Justin Trudeau's recent statement that he would not revoke the  citizenship of terrorists.  However, what I found more interesting about Trudeau's statement was the second half which no one is discussing.  After making his statement about terrorism and citizenship, Trudeau issued a dare to his opponents, telling them they can include that in their next attacks ads.  "You can say the Liberal Party believes this," he declared.  "Because I do."

There are two points I wish to make about this statement.  First, there was no need to mention the Liberal party as a target of the attack ads, because they are not.  The attack ads are solely directed at Justin Trudeau himself.  That Trudeau felt the need to include the Liberal Party in his statement, (and also, strangely, because the attack ads of his opponents barely mention the party) doubles down on my next point, which is:  Second, once again we have this growing identification between leader and party. As I have said many times before, and which is becoming an even greater concern to me, is how we are no longer being asked to vote for  our representatives.  We are no longer being asked to pick the person who can best represent our ridings and send them to Ottawa to advise the Queen on her governing of Canada.  No.  Instead, the leaders are asking us  to pick from the people who are representing the leaders to us. 

Trudeau has simply taken that to the next step.  What he believes is what the party believes.  Period.  End of sentence.  That is what I find most important about his declaration- not the content of the declaration, but this assumption which was left unchallenged by the press.   It really does not matter to me upon what issue Trudeau declares that the party must follow him.  It could be this, or abortion, or unpaid parking tickets.  I don't care.  What I do care about is that the leaders are increasingly demanding that their parties be filled with fawning sycophants and bootlickers- bodies with no mind of their own, and no opinions.  I hate this trend with a passion.  I do not believe, and I will never believe, that Canada is best served by a gang of yes men. "L'etat, c'est moi" is not a sentiment that should cross the mind or lips of any Canadian politician, ever.

No comments: