3 May 2016

While I'm on the subject of singing

As I mentioned in the post below, I usually go out of the hymnal when picking communion hymns.  Last night, when setting out the hymns for the coming weeks, the director and  suggested that I do a piece we have been working on sporadically for a while: Frank's Panis Angelicus.  You know, the famous one. The really, really famous one.  The one so famous most people are unaware there are other settings for the words.

On the one hand, I have always wanted to sing this piece.  On the other hand, there is no upside to singing this piece.  It has been done  over and over, and there are many, many recordings of it performed by the finest singers the word has to offer.  I cannot imagine coming off well in comparison.

Oh well.  Once again, here goes nothing.

No comments: