31 January 2018

Bell Mental Health Day

So, today is Bell's 'let's talk' about mental health day. That is a good thing, I suppose. All too often the people who suffer from mental health issues are forced to do so in silence and shame. That stigma should be lifted, and a light should be shone into the dark places.

Having said that, I would like to decline entering that conversation. I am surrounded by people with these issues. I even have a few myself.  From my waking to my going to bed, I must be cognizant of these issues. They are in ...my first thoughts upon awakening, and the last thoughts before I lay me down. Dedicate one day to them, you ask? They consume my life.

It is like what I said when my inbox was flooded with memes and such about 'autism awareness day': there is no need to try and increase my awareness of it. I am aware of it, and will be aware of it until my death. What I wish for is an autism, and a mental health, unawareness day. A day where I don't have to think or talk about these things. Can a company out there sponsor such a day, or a government declare one such day out of the year?

No comments: