2 April 2018

Pious tradition

This weekend, I attempted to resurrect an old tradition my mother used to do with us when we were children, and visit seven churches between Holy Thursday and Easter Vigil.  It is an old tradition, I have been informed, wherein those who cannot visit the seven patriarchal basilicas and stational churches in Rome may replace them with seven local churches, rather like the Stations of the Cross are for those who cannot visit the Holy Land and visit the real things.

Sadly, my attempt to resurrect the old tradition backfired, and every church we went to but one was locked at that time.

I am getting something of a mixed message here: this is the most holy and sacred time of the year, therefore let's lock all our churches.

Once again, we are in the hands of the insurance companies.

No comments: