11 August 2018

And Yet Again, Music

I was wrapped up in yet another on line debate about Church music (why, oh why, do I let myself get drawn in?) and the usual discussion about the quality of new Church music as opposed to the old when, like clockwork, someone comes in and says that 'they' really need to spend more money on music programs.

I don't know how many times I have said it, but there is no 'they' in this case.  The money comes from us, every week, in the collection, and unless we are willing to shell out more or start fundraising for better music, then we need to stop talking, knuckle under, and endure whatever out of tune rubbish comes our way.

And it will get worse.  There are many calls out there for people to stop putting money in the collection until the bishops clean up their mess.  I can guarantee you, when the money stops coming in, the absolute first thing to get cut will be the music programs.  We will need to go from trying to do more with less to trying to do something with nothing.

No comments: