6 June 2019

Over my head

There's a scene in a Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs is in the army and the sergeant is looking for a volunteer to step forward.  As one, every other man takes a step back, leaving Bugs out front, the volunteer,

Tonight, unless some sort of divine intervention takes place, I will be acclaimed the Grand Knight of my council. I'm getting that position in more or less the same way Bugs 'volunteered':  I could decline the nomination, but, to be blunt, I am it.  They may be scraping the barrel in picking me, but there is no one else.  The council is not flourishing.  The best efforts of myself as Deputy and the previous Grand Knight for the last three years have failed to turn it around.  The council has been more active of late than it has been in the past, but it hasn't made that much of a difference. We need new blood.  There isn't any.

There's a scene from another movie, where John Belushi gives an impassioned speech to the people around him, and concludes by yelling out "Who's with me? Let's go!"  He then races off to discover that he is alone.  Leading this council is like that, too.  Sure, people want to be active and they want to help, but, gosh, I'm tired, or there's something on tv, or the weather, or some other thing.  They want to do stuff, only not that, or not then, or not there.  Something else.  What, they don't know, but come up with something else and they'll be there, maybe, unless something- anything (or sometimes nothing)- else comes along.

If anyone would care to pray for me and my merry band, I'd appreciate it.

No comments: