22 June 2019

"I die the king's good servant, but God's first."

Today is the feast of St Thomas More. 

After More's execution, the Emperor Charles summoned Thomas Elliot, the English Ambassador.  More's son in law William Roper tells the story:
 Soon after whose death came intelligence thereof to the Emperor Charles, whereupon he sent for Sir Thomas Eliott, our English Ambassador, and said unto him, "My Lord Ambassador, we understand that the King your master hath put his faithful servant and grave wise councillor Sir Thomas More to death." Whereunto sir Thomas Eliott answered, that he understood nothing thereof. "Well," said the Emperor, "it is very true, and this will we say, that if we had been master of such a servant, of whose doings ourselves have had these many years no small experience, we would rather have lost the best city of our dominions, than have lost such a worthy councillor." 
Here is my old attempt at a portrait of More:



I think I'll take another crack at his face, make it a little larger, use a lighter, less yellow wood- perhaps maple- and add some more details and background from the Holbein portrait.  Basically, I'll treat it like I did my second stab at St Michael a little while back.


No comments: